Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Reza Hedayat is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines. He received his PhD in 2013 from Purdue University. Dr. Hedayat’s teaching and research interests focus on rock mechanics, geophysics, tunnels and underground construction, non-destructive evaluation methods, construction materials, and statistical analysis in geotechnical engineering.
Dr. Hedayat’s research addresses the fundamental challenges in understanding the behavior of geomaterials (soils and rocks) and construction materials and the structures made of them at different time- and length- scales by designing and conducting highly detailed and controlled experiments. The goal of his research is to understand the behavior of materials and develop more effective and efficient solutions to problems in geoengineering. Dr. Hedayat’s research utilizes novel mechanical-geophysical-optical methods to observe what is happening inside the materials with the aim of understanding the multi-scale physical processes within them such as crack initiation, crack development, crack network coalescence, contact area evolution, slip, and failure.
- PhD Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2013
- MS Civil Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, 2009
- BS Civil Engineering, Shiraz University, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Early Career Award from the Department of Energy- Basic Energy Sciences- Geoscience, 2018
- ASCE ExCEED (Excellence in Civil Engineering Education) Fellow, 2016
- Rocha Medal Runner-up Certificate Award, International Society of Rock Mechanics (ISRM), 2015
- N.G.W. Cook PhD Dissertation Award, American Rock Mechanics Association, 2014
- Arora, K., Gutierrez, M., Hedayat, A., and Xia, C. (2020). Tunnels in Squeezing Clay-Rich Rocks. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.undsp.2020.07.001.
- Shirole, D., Walton, G., and Hedayat, A. (2020). Experimental investigation of multi-scale strain-field heterogeneity in rocks. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 127, 104212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2020.104212.
- Mahdiyar, A., Armaghani, D.J., Koopialipoor, M., Hedayat, A., Abdullah, A., Yahya, K. (2020). Practical risk assessment of ground vibrations resulting from blasting, using gene expression programming and Monte Carlo simulation techniques. Applied Sciences, 10 (2), 472. https://doi.org/10.3390/app10020472.
- Shirole, D., Hedayat, A., and Walton, G. Illumination of damage in intact rock specimens by ultrasonic wave transmission and reflection. Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, 125(7), e2020JB019526. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JB019526
- Gheibi, A., and Hedayat, A. (2020). Ultrasonic imaging microscale processes in quartz gouge during compression and shear. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. (Accepted and in press).
- Shirole, D.., Hedayat, A., Ghazanfari, E., and Walton, G. (2020). Evaluation of an ultrasonic method for damage characterization of brittle rocks. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-020-02045-y.
- Walton, G., Hedayat, A., and Rahjoo, M. (2019). Relating plastic potential function to experimentally obtained dilatancy observations for geomaterials with a confinement-dependent dilation angle. International Journal of Geomechanics 19 (8), 04019092.
- Hedayat, A., and Weems, J. (2019). The elasto-plastic response of deep tunnels with damaged zone and gravity effects. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 52 (12), 5123-5135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-019-01834-4.
- Hedayat, A., Oreste, P., and Spagnoli, G. (2019). Analysis of the effects of blast-induced damage zone with attenuating disturbance factor on the ground support interaction. Geomechanics and Geoengineering, 1-11. Doi: 10.1080/17486025.2019.1664777
- Koopialipoor, M., Tootoonchi, H., Armaghani, D.J., Mohamad, E.T., and Hedayat, A. (2019). Application of deep neural networks in predicting the penetration rate of tunnel boring machines. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment 78 (8), 6347-6360. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-019-01538-7
- Oreste, P., Spagnoli, G., Ramos, C.A.L., and Hedayat, A. (2019). Assessment of the safety factor evolution of the shotcrete lining for different curing ages. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 37 (6), 5555-5563. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-019-00990-2
- Asadizadeh, A., Masoumi, H., Roshan, H., and Hedayat, A. (2019). Coupling Taguchi and Response Surface Methodologies for the Efficient Characterization of Jointed Rocks’ Mechanical Properties. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 52 (11), 4807-4819. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-019-01853-1.
- Oreste, P., Hedayat, A., and Spagnoli, G. (2019). Effect of gravity of the plastic zones on the behavior of supports in very deep tunnels excavated in rock masses. International Journal of Geomechanics 19 (9), 04019107 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0001490.
- Shirole, D., Hedayat, A., and Walton, G. (2019). Experimental relationship between ultrasonic attenuation and surface strains in prismatic rock specimens, Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 124 (6), 5770-793. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JB017086.
- Kravitz, B., Mooney, M., Karlovsek, J., Danielson, I., and Hedayat, A. (2019). Void detection in two-component annulus grout behind a pre-cast segmental tunnel liner using Ground Penetrating Radar, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 83, 381-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2018.09.032.
- Kamali-Asl, A., KC, B., Ghazanfari, E., and Hedayat, A. (2019). Flow-induced alterations of ultrasonic signatures and fracture aperture under constant state-of-stress in a single-fractured rock, Geophysics, 84(4), A37-WA139, https://doi.org/10.1190/geo2018-0574.1.
- Shirole, D., Walton, G., Ostrovsky, Lev., Masoumi, H., and Hedayat, A. (2018). Non-linear ultrasonic monitoring of damage progression in disparate rocks. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 111, 33-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2018.08.010.
- Gheibi, A., and Hedayat, A. (2018). Ultrasonic investigation of granular materials subjected to compression and crushing. Ultrasonics, 87, 112-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2018.02.006
- Kamali-Asl, A., Ghazanfari, E., Hedayat, A., and Deering, L. (2018). Investigation of static/dynamic moduli and plastic response of shale specimens. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 110, 231-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2018.08.008
- Koopialipoor, M., Armaghani, D.J., Hedayat, A., Marto, A., Gordon, B. (2018). Applying various hybrid intelligent systems to evaluate and predict slope stability under static and dynamic conditions. Soft Computing, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00500-018-3253-3.
See more in Google Scholar