James R. Paden Chair and Distinguished Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director, University Transportation Center for Underground Transportation Infrastructure (UTC-UTI)
Dr. Marte Gutierrez is the James R. Paden Distinguished Professor at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Director for University Transportation Center for Underground Transportation Infrastructure (UTC-UTI) of Colorado School of Mines (CSM). Formerly, he was Post-doctoral Fellow, Senior Engineer and Program Leader at the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, and Associate Professor/Professor at Virginia Tech. He has held visiting professorship and researcher positions in China, Chile, France, Japan, South Korea, and the UAE. He was the Founding Chair of Department of Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering, Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi, UAE. He has published more than 300 papers in book chapters, journals and conference proceedings, has given keynote and invited lectures at a number of conferences, and has been responsible for more than US$ 20 million in research funding. He is a member of the Editorial Board of five International Journals, and was Board Member and Treasurer of the US Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER). He is the recipient of the Geotechnical Research Medal from UK’s Institute of Civil Engineers, the Applied Rock Mechanics Research Award from the American Rock Mechanics Association, and the Kwanghua Visiting Professorship from Tongji University. Dr. Gutierrez’s main research interests are in Geomechanics and Energy and Environmental Sustainability.
- Royal Norwegian Post-doctoral Fellow, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute
- Ph.D., University of Tokyo
- MS, University of the Philippines
- Certificate in Civil Engineering, Nihon University
- Geomechanics (Constitutive Modeling, Discrete Element and Particulate Modeling, Bifurcation and Strain Localization, Poromechanics, and Laboratory Testing).
- Environmental and Energy Sustainability (Petroleum Geomechanics, CO2 Geological Sequestration, Geothermal Energy, Underground Excavations in Rocks, and Geohazards).
- Hampton, J., Gutierrez, M., Matzar, L., Hu, D. and Frash, L. (2018), “Acoustic Emission Characterization of Microcracking in Laboratory Scale Hydraulic Fracturing Tests,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 10(5), pp. 805-817.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2018). “High-order ADE Scheme for Solving Fluid Diffusion Equations in Non-Uniform Grids and its Application in Coupled Hydro-Mechanical Simulation.” International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 2018; 1–25.
- Li, X., Xie, Y., Xu, J. and Gutierrez, M. (2018), “A Soft-Rigid Contact Model of MPM for Granular Flow Impact on Retaining Structures,” Computational Particle Mechanics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1-9.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2018). “Axisymmetric ADE Scheme for Efficient Coupled Simulation of Hydro−Mechanical Interaction in Geotechnical Engineering − Application to Circular Footing and Deep Tunnel in Saturated Ground,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 10, pp. 259-279.
- Prassetyo, S.H. and Gutierrez, M. (2018). “Effect of Transient Coupled Hydro-Mechanical Response on the Longitudinal Displacement Profile of Deep Tunnels in Saturated Ground.” Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, vol. 75, pp. 11-20
- Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Comparison of the Rudnicki-Rice and Vermeer Bifurcation Criteria,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, vol. 132. no. 6.
- Prassetyo, S.H., Gutierrez, M. and Barton, N. (2017). “Nonlinear Shear Behavior of Rock Joints Using a Linearized Implementation of the Barton-Bandis Model,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 9, pp. 671-682.
- Tomac, I. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Coupled Hydro-Thermo-Mechanical Modeling of Hydraulic Fracturing in Quasi-Brittle Rocks using BPM-DEM,” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 92–104.
- Li, B., Chen, L. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Influence of the Intermediate Principal Stress and Principal Stress Direction on the Mechanical Behavior of Cohesionless Soils Using the Discrete Element Method,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 86, pp. 52–66.
- Zhang, G., Li, M. and Gutierrez, M. (2017), “Numerical Simulation of Proppant Distribution in Hydraulic Fractures in Horizontal Wells,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, vol. 48, pp. 157-168.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, SUCCESS (Subsurface CO2 Storage – Critical Elements and Superior Strategy), Norway, August 2015 to present.
- Board Member, US Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER), January 2008 to June 2012. Treasurer, January 2010 to June 2013.
- Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, October 2002 to December 2013
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, January 2018 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Underground Space, January 2016 to present
- Member, Inaugural Editorial Advisory Panel, Géotechnique Letters, October 2010 to January 2014
- Member, Editorial Board, Frontiers in Carbon Capture, Storage, and Utilization, April 2014 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Acta Geotechnica, March 2009 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, The Open Petroleum Engineering Journal, January 2008 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Frontiers in Geosciences, January 2013 to present
- Project manager and project engineer at the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) for the following notable civil engineering projects:
- Foundation analysis and design of several offshore platforms including the tallest concrete gravity-based platform in the world, the Troll Platform.
- Subsidence analysis of several oil fields including the largest oil field in the North Sea, the Ekofisk.
- Foundation analysis and design of the second longest bridge in Northern Europe, the Storæbelt (Great Belt Fixed Link) Bridge connecting the Danish islands of Zealand and Funen.
- Analysis and design of several major tunnels in China, Japan, Korea and Norway including the twin three-lane Shimizu Tunnel #3 in Japan.
Honors, Awards and Recognitions
- 2020 Rock Mechanics Research Award, American Rock Mechanics Association
- 18th Advanced Powder Technology Distinguished Paper Award, Society of Powder Technology Japan, 2020
- Tenth Anniversary Excellent Editorial Board Member Award, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 2020
- Geotechnical Research Medal, Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), United Kingdom, 2011
- Applied Rock Mechanics Research Award, American Rock Mechanics Association, 2017
- Peter A. Cundall Honorable Mention Award, 2016
- Kwang Hua Visiting Professorship, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2009- 2010
- Guest Professorship, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2009-2012
- Visiting Researcher Award, Korea Railroad Research Institute, Uiwang, South Korea, May-June, 2010
- Heiland Distinguished Lecturer, Geophysics Department, Colorado School of Mines, February 5, 2009
- ÉGIDE Visiting Professorship, École Nationale des Ponts et Chausses, Paris, France, March to July 2007
- Virginia Tech Faculty Fellow Award, 2006-2009
- Senior Visiting Scholarship, National Institute for Resources and Environment (NIRE), Science and Technology Agency (STA), Tsukuba, Japan, August, 1998.
- Royal Postdoctoral Fellowship, Royal Norwegian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (NTNF), October 1989 to November 1991