Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Veronica Eliasson is an associate professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department at Colorado School of Mines. Dr. Eliasson obtained an MS degree in Vehicle Engineering and a PhD in Mechanics from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden, under Prof. Apazidis. Dr. Eliasson then spent two years as postdoctoral scholar at the California Institute of Technology working with Profs. Rosakis and Dimotakis. In 2009, Dr. Eliasson joined the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at University of Southern California as an assistant professor. In 2016, Dr. Eliasson joined the Structural Engineering Department at University of California, San Diego. Dr. Eliasson is the 2020 recipient of the F. Zandman Award through the Society of Experimental Mechanics.
Dr. Eliasson’s research interests are multi-disciplinary and range from shock wave dynamics to fracture mechanics — all explored relying on a strong foundation of experimental mechanics coupled with different types of ultra high-speed photography techniques. Dr. Eliasson is passionate about promoting research experiences for diverse groups of high school students, undergraduate students and graduate students through participation in laboratory experiments.
Shock and Impact Lab
Mines Explosives Research Lab (Director)
- Shock/blast wave dynamics
- Dynamic fracture
- Fluid-structure interaction
- High strain rate impacts
- High-speed visualization techniques
- J.C. Dela Cueva**, L. Zheng**, B. Lawlor**, K. Nguyen**, A. Westra**, J. Nunez**, J. Zanteson**, C. McGuire**, R. Chavez Morales*, B.J. Katko, H. Liu* & V. Eliasson, Blast wave interaction with structures: an application of exploding wire experiments, In print in Multiscale and Multidisciplinary Modeling, Experiments and Design, DOI :10.1007/s41939-020-00076-0, 2020.
- W. Mellor*, E. Lakhani*, J. C. Valenzuela, B. Lawlor**, J. Zanteson** & V. Eliasson, Design of a multiple exploding wire setup to study shock wave dynamics, Experimental Techniques, 44, 241-248, 2020
- S. Koumlis*, H. Cheng, T.E. Morgan, C.E. Finch & V. Eliasson, Glial Model for Traumatic Brain Injury: network strain field and inflammation induced by repeated mechanical impacts in vitro, 58, 125-135, Experimental Mechanics, 2018. DOI 10.1007/s11340-017-0338-3
- Q. Wan*, H. Jeon*, R. Deiterding & V. Eliasson, Numerical and experimental investigation of oblique shock wave reflection off a water wedge, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 826, 732-758, 2017
- G.R. Khanolkar*, M. Raouls, J.P. Kelly, O.A. Graeve, A.M. Hodge & V. Eliasson, Shock Wave Response of Iron-based In Situ Metallic Glass Matrix Composites, Scientific Reports, 6, Article number: 22568, Doi:10.1038/srep22568, 2016
- S. Qiu*, K. Liu* & V. Eliasson, Parallel implementation of geometrical shock dynamics for two dimensional converging shock waves, Computer Physics Communications, 207 186-192, 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.cpc.2016.06.003
- O. Delpino Gonzales* and V. Eliasson, Effect of water content on dynamic fracture initiation of vinyl ester, Experimental Mechanics, Online first, DOI: 10.1007/s11340-015-0028-y, 2015
- S. Qiu* and V. Eliasson, Interaction and coalescence of multiple simultaneous and non-simultaneous blast waves, 26 (3), 287-297, Shock Waves, DOI: 10.1007/s00193-015-0567-2, 2015
- V. Eliasson, N. Tillmark, A.J. Szeri & N. Apazidis, Light emission during shock wave focusing in air and argon. Physics of Fluids, 19 106106, 2007
- V. Eliasson, N. Apazidis, N. Tillmark & Lesser M., Focusing of strong shocks in an annular shock tube. Shock waves, 15 205-217, 2006